09 January 2009

Call to duty......

Sheila - It was one of those things I kept tucked away in the back of my mind.......the possibility of Eric being called to active duty. It seemed less of chance to me since it hadn't happened before now.....wishful thinking! Late September we got the word. After I recovered from the initial shock my mind went to the kids. I knew I could handle it (I had done this before) but I wasn't sure how the kids were going to take it. Of course, we had talked of the possibility that daddy might be activated someday but we didn't know someday would be now. There were a few tears but they seemed to understand. Only time would tell.

I moved forward the only way I knew how......in prayer. God gave me an ovewhelming sense of peace. Being mission-minded, I could only see this as another mission. How was this different than me going to Brazil, Cuba, etc. for a mission trip? People need to be free from cruel dictatorships and oppression just as they need to be free from the bonds of sin. Are we so selfish as to think that we are the only people in the world that deserve freedom and democracy? May it never be so. We saw this as an opportunity to make a difference....in some way......however God chose to use us. I also remembered that my husband volunteered to serve his country many years ago. So when the call comes.....he goes.

As I reflect back on the last year, God has prepared us every step of the way. We have had many changes this year but God has been in the middle of it all. The support and love of so many has been incredible. A dear friend coordinated a prayer/fasting chain that began December 1st and will continue every day Eric is gone. What more could we ask for?! I would like to personally thank everyone that agreed to pray and/or fast. It means everthing! Thank you also to Steele Creek youth and youth leaders that have reached out to my kids (especially being new!) with friendship, tears, prayer, and encouragment. Thanks to the Martin Home Fellowship group that has truly modeled the Acts 2 church. There are countless others I could name..........thank you all!

We are honored to serve God and our country. We do not take lightly the freedoms that we have undeservedly been blessed with. There are things worth living for, dying for, and fighting for. So we move forward in faith knowing that our future is uncertain but we are certain of the ONE who holds it. Keep praying!

2 comments:

Terry said...

Eric will be in my prayers in the months ahead as he serves our great country.
Terry
NMCB-74 Quang Tri, RVN '69-'70
www.seabee-rvn.com

Faith said...

I am so thankful for the peace of God that surpasses all understanding. It is evident in your lives. We, as your friends, are committing to cover you all in prayer. We cannot wait to see the many ways that God will receive much glory as a result of this mission.

On our knees, Faith and Chad