29 January 2009

Training

Training, training, and more training! I am amazed I get paid to do this, but hey somebody has to do it. It started out with SERT school, this is a course that contains several topics within one class. Basic combat, field medical, land navigation, weapons, and a whole host of other topics. This was accomplished and it was off to the next exercise, Chemical Biological warfare, this is when we get to enjoy the love of the gas chamber! The instructors wanted us to sing the SEA BEE song, I was to a little busy trying to get my nose and eyes to stop running, but was not having any luck! Needless to say I did not sing. Once the gas chamber exercise was completed we went into the next topic one I truly enjoyed! Bring on the gun range. For those who know me and those that don't I love the Lord, my wife, kids, friends, church, even work, but I really like to go shoot some guns. The first day was spent in the classroom, we covered topics like safety, ballistics, techniques, and procedures on the range. Day two and three we were sending rounds down range! I hate to say it, but there are those that need to (1) practice or (2) hope they never need to use there weapon! YES I did qualify, and NO I am not one of the few who hope they don't have to rely on there weapons skills to bail them out of a bad situation. There is still plenty of training yet to do this will be a ongoing evolution till we deploy.
Along with hands on training there has been allot of seminar style classes we have to attend, these are usually done in the evenings either in the building we are staying in or at the theater on base, just depends on the size of the audience. These classes cover a host of topics like sexual harassment, hazing, equal rights and lord only knows what else. There have been some topics that really do catch your attention like rules of engagement and escalation of force! Of course these topics were covered by our Commanding Officer.
As time passes I will be sure to keep every one up to date on the ongoing training. There are several evolutions yet to come but I won't let the cat out of the bag yet.

1 comment:

Faith said...

ET, so good to hear from you and read all about what's going on there. I know you are enjoying shootin' you some guns, and who would have ever doubted that you would pass? You are probably blowing the rest of those boys out of the water!

We are praying for you and thinking about you so much. We miss you and love you man!