07 February 2009

A nice note from Eric's niece..............

**Eric's niece Whitney asked me if she could post something on our blog so this is from her. Thanks Whit!**

Ok, so many of you may or not know who I am. I am Eric’s niece (his favorite – but shhh don’t tell - I don’t want to hurt anyone’s feelings).

In my family it was no shock that someone would enter the Reserves. It’s pretty much normalcy in the Treat family. When Eric went back into Reserves I knew there was a possibility of him being deployed – but I thought, shoot, Drew and KT went – there is no way Eric will go. When I first heard of Eric’s deployment – I must say I was selfish and was in my own world. I was in the midst of planning my wedding and in all honesty didn’t stop to think or ask how they were. But on Sundays while sitting in church, I didn’t pray for me, my wedding or my future - I prayed for Eric. After my ceremony, while sitting at dinner it hit me “he really is going”. I remember looking to my husband and saying this isn’t fair – he can’t go. I was grateful to look out and see him and his family sitting at my ceremony, dinner and reception – knowing this is a moment we will never forget. But part of me was hopeful he wouldn’t pass his medical test or by some chance they’d say "no you don’t have to come". But I knew whatever the outcome - the Lord would keep Eric safe.

As I write this I can’t help but remember how much of my past 22 years I’ve spent with Eric and Sheila. And to think of the next 8 months or so with just Sheila, is kind of hard. (No offense Sheila – love you – but Eric just tells way better stories). As long as I can remember Eric has always told us of stories from his past – they were some of the funniest stories I have ever heard. I also remember him telling embarrassing stories from my past. Before Shelby and Avery came along Eric and Sheila would baby-sit for my brother and I – what stories Eric tells! And he never misses a single detail – OH the embarrassment! Thankfully, my husband never heard any!

When I asked Sheila to write this for Eric – I had one thing in mind. My love, devotion and prayer for my uncle in his trying time. I have come to realize that just because I have a hard, stressful or maybe sometimes tiring life – I can’t help but think his life is so different. He is away from his wife, home, and children. Over the past few weeks while kneeling for communion I couldn't help but focus my prayer on Eric. But as I sit here I can’t help but remember a saying a friend told me a while back. “The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you”. And this is so true! I have made it through some of my hardest times with the Lord and I know Eric will emerge from this and have even more stories to tell. And when he does come home we will be waiting for him with open arms. So, Eric I love you - I miss you and Andy & I are so proud of you!

1 comment:

Eric said...

Thanks Whit I appreciate the comments, you are a special girl and I to am praying for both you and Andy.
I luve you, your uncle.

P.S. tell Andy anytime he wants to hear a story I;m sure I could remember one or two.